Week 2 -Film Walsall

For our second week we went out and filmed parts of Walsall, no only did we film parts of Walsall but also tested our presenting skills and our research on these locations. Even after talking about it on my last blog, our shots were very basic and will need to improve in the coming weeks if we want to show off both our cinematography skills and the location of our shot.

The first thing we did this week was finish off our work from last week and after a week, I notice more things about my shots and felt like I looked more at the good points and what I liked about the shots while still looking on what to improve for next time we shot. After finishing off the editing, we exported our project and headed straight into the next project which was to film four key parts of Walsall and to share some information about them. Before we headed off Neil taught us about linked video and audio together. Although we learned about this already, It was still helpful to learn about it again and to make shall I still remember how to do it. We then got into groups and my partners were Molly and Rebecca which I enjoyed as I hadn’t worked with them before and was interested to see how they worked both with the camera and research techniques. Although I hadn’t worked with them before, I had watched some of their work and liked the style and techniques they had used in the past.

Our first location was ‘Walsall’s Arboretum’ which was our longest we spent at a location compared to the other four (we did miss two of the locations in the end). The reason we spent so long at the Arboretum was due to the fact that the Arboretum was the furthest one away from the college and that it had so much history about it, we wanted to use our voice overs talking about it and talk about facts which we found interesting. After setting up our first shot by the lake. we began researching about the Arboretum and found out some interesting facts about the place and wrote them down on a piece of paper. We left the camera rolling for six minutes which we later used for a time lapse. After writing down theses facts, we set up our next shot very quick while framing the camera with a nice depth of field making the main subject (Molly) the main focus in the shot.We also got some quick shots of other things included at the Arboretum such as the flowers, statue and the main lake with the birds swimming just to use over the Molly shot as we felt looking at Molly won’t show us much about what we were talking about. We spent close to an hour there and only spent half the time at the ‘Walsall Leather Museum’ as we were rushed for time.

The Walsall Leather Museum was our last location of the day and we only spent half an hour there which was shown during the editing later on the day. This time I asked the group if it was alright for me to present the information and they were happy to let me. Although the information wasn’t as interesting as the ones at the Arboretum it was still useful we felt that we told the history in a professional manner. After filming my shot we moved on to the other shots which were mostly wide shots and close ups of the building and flowers in the garden. I did try and do dolly shot but in said of doing the shot side to side, I did the shot from top to bottom to show off the building we were filming. On the camera this shot looked really nice but as I soon found out, didn’t look as nice and wasn’t good enough to use in the main project. After the filming was done we headed back into the college to import our clips and begin the editing process.

After importing our clips we began editing and as I talked about last week, some of our clips looked better on the camera screen then on the computer editing. Although it wasn’t as bad as the week before we did have some very noticeable clips that looked shaky and were not good enough to use. I made a quick edit and put all the clips in order just so I would know how the project would flow and when the clips should start and stop. Once I did this the editing was very simple in the sense of what clips I should be using and how the project would flow with the clips. This also helped with what clips I would use and which I would delete as some clips were just too small or too long. I do have a lot more editing I would like to do next week such as the colour grading, rearranging the clips and the use of music throughout the projects. Hopefully after this week I will see how other people in my group edit their clips and see their style of film making.

Overall I felt like the lesson was a stepping stone for the next project with some good and bad points to take away. With our main project coming close it’s always nice to use these lessons to improve our basic skills and try more advanced techniques to see if they would work for our other projects so that we won’t make the mistake with more to lose.The group I was put in was more then happy with the shots and I felt like we understand how we want our projects to flow and that we filmed different shots to fit our styles. In the end I was happy with what’s happened so far and will be happy to finish off the short project to compare to my group so that we would know in future our styles and techniques so that we will improve our film making skills together.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s