Post-Prodcution/ Editing

For our daydreaming vignette film, I decided to film at 7am as it would be so cold that the frostbite will be covering the grass making the shots look cold. I woke up at 7 and headed out for 7:15 where I got my first four clips of the glass, ice and leaf in cold conditions. I pulled out the drone and got some shots in the sky to set the scene and some other shots that could make everything look cold.While flying the drone I had it come down close to the ground to get some shots of the glass blowing in the wild. As I was doing so my dog walked over to the drone and starts barking at it while the camera films him. I liked this shot as you could the fog coming from his month showing the cold conditions and the wild blowing the glass around him. After filming for 30 minutes I decided to put the drone away and back to my camera for the rest of the shots. It was here where I found some ice on the ground around some mud and still glass. The shot didn’t look nice while filming but I decided to keep the shot as I felt I could save it in post production by adding some colour corrections to make the shot look colder.

The next day I wanted to get some warm, brighter shots to contrast the cold shots from the day before. I decided to get some shots of the fireplace as I felt I would make the fire look like the glass shot and have the two over lapping each other. After filming that for 2 minutes I decided to go outside and film my last shot before importing all the clips to edit. I filmed the lighter and spray together which made a burning flame which lasted of around about 2 seconds. I filmed the same shot 4 times with the camera settings changed every time. I used the third clip as the hands with harder to see and the flame raised higher covering most of the shot.

I imported all my clips onto my laptop and started editing. I put them in a folder and opened Premier where I put all the clips in order and made the clips around about 3-6 seconds so I’m not dragging the clips out. After all the clips were in order I put the clips in time with the song we were using and tried to match the flow of the music so the film was easy to watch and didn’t stand out. I added some colour correction on some of the clips to make them look warmer or colder depending on how I wanted the clips to look. I applied the effect on the ice clip and it looked very nice with the blue standing out making the main focus on the ice and not the glass around it. I made the flame shot slower as I felt the shot will look better if the audience saw how the flame was made and the grow as a slower speed. I added some fades on some of the clips to make the scene look like time has passed and the ice has covered the once green green. Once that was done the film was done and ready to export.

Overall I enjoyed the unit as I learned more on how to use the camera and the type of settings to use before filming. I felt at the start of the unit my camera techniques weren’t up to my standard but after this unit I felt like it’s getting closer with more practice would higher my original standards. This was my first time editing on my laptop and I have to say that the laptop handled the shots very well with almost every clip played at full quality even with effects on them. If I did this unit again I would like to make more warmer clips with the drone as I feel the clips would look great in 4k with the bright warm colours.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s